vendredi 26 septembre 2014

Uneasy Friday...

Today will be a nerve-racking day for me! Last night at about 7pm I decided to go out and cut down a half dead tree that sits about 10 ft behind my polebarn. I've been wanting to cut it down since we moved in but every time I think about it, it's too windy to do it safely. Now I've cut a few trees down in my day but I'm no expert by any means, but I had sized up the tree and decided it was something I could do on my own, so I went out and got the chainsaw out and started cutting a notch in the tree and the first thing I realized is the chainsaw is too small to cut all the way through the tree... I didn't think it was too big of a deal so I continued cutting on the notch.



I spent about an hour cutting on the notch (my saw chain needs replaced because it has been sharpened one too many times I think). I still did not have the notch cut out when it started to get dark. I finally decided I had to give up for the night and buy a new chain for the saw today... so I have a mostly dead tree that has one cut half way through the tree, and another angle cut almost down to the initial cut, but I'm not home to finish felling it. I am very anxious about what I'm going to find when I get home... I decided to get out all of the log chains I could find to hook to the tree and hook to the back of my truck and fingers crossed if the tree decides to come down it doesn't hit my truck, so I had three log chains and a chain fall that gets my truck pretty close to being far enough away to not get hit, but I can't really tell for sure if it is out of danger or not... then I went and found another wire cable as well as my dog wire cables for when we take them someplace away from home, and then a few ratchet straps (that of course are going to snap if the tree wants to go a different direction since they are only rated for 750lbs) and I tied those off to a smaller pine tree to again, hopefully coerce the tree to fall in the direction I want it to if it decides to come down while I'm not home...



really nerve racking night last night / day today!




Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire