mardi 2 août 2016

Aiptasia

Turns out that I have an aiptasia problem. I bought a new piece of LR the other day, and it's infested with aiptasia, and also some bubble algae. The rock itself also had algae all over it, but by CUC are devouring it, impressively. In a few weeks that rock will be white like the others. Regardless, I have my work cut out for me today.

I have researched how to kill it, and it seems that there are a number of solutions: Peppermint shrimp, Butterfly Fish, Filefish, Nudis, Kalkwasser, lemon juice, boiling RO water, Aiptasia-X, even high powered lasers.

I have had bad luck with shrimp, but I am seriously considering buying a few. Butterfly Fish are too big for my small tank, Filefish are expesive but I don't think LFS has any. They are also not reef safe. Kalkwasser seems effective and safe. Boiling water does also look effective. Nudibranches seem difficult to keep. Lemon Juice can seriously alter water chemistry. I'm not buying a $200 laser.

I plan on supertesting my water. I bought new tests. I bought a copper test, and a phosphate test. I will run both of those tests, plus Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, pH, Salinity. If everything seems good, I will buy a few more shrimp, and see how that goes. The huge aiptasia I will kill with the boiling RO water method. That way if they do shoot out larvae, my shrimp will be poised to slay them. I am hesitant to take an unnatural approach to Aiptasia removal. I have a nano-tank, and my water chemistry is a delicate balance.

Other than my unwanted hitchhikers, my tank is THRIVING. Everything is super happy at the moment. I will keep everyone updated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: 340d33f0-25ce-4adf-8e0d-c4fe127eac89.jpg Views: N/A Size: 45.7 KB ID: 132242   Click image for larger version Name: 40d4327e-50de-4c93-a715-8c02682f4ce1.jpg Views: N/A Size: 57.8 KB ID: 132250   Click image for larger version Name: b05197aa-935d-4ce0-9902-909262972130.jpg Views: N/A Size: 46.7 KB ID: 132258  



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire