mercredi 1 juin 2016

Dino War!

So I figure I would open this thread to detail my fight with Dinos. Hopefully my pain can help others.

I have a 75 gallon take with a 30 gallon slump. Being new I though the algae was diatoms and part of the process. Digging deeper I learn I had the dreaded dinos. So the first thing I needed to do is figure out where it came from and what is feeding it. being a new tank I had 70 percent dead rock and my live rock came for a pervious system with some soft corals on it. Well I had this need barnacle piece I got from the LF. Looking at the tank most of the dino where right next to this piece with a powerhead right above it. My guess is this barnacle wasn't treated and the powerhead help spread the dino. The funny thing is the other end of the tank was mostly clean. All the discolored sand and slimly algae was on the side with the barnacle piece.

So barnacle was removed blew off most of the dinos and now the tank has been covered. Good thing for me is I don't have a huge outbreak but you could see it was starting to effect the soft corals.

So let me know if I am doing anything wrong here but these are my next steps,

1. feed once during the black out and check the critters. Only one I am worried about is the urchin
2. Order new carbon and GFO for the reactor, soo as it gets it I will replace the old stuff.
3. After the 72 period is over I will suck/scrape whatever I can get on the rocks and in the water. Then vacuum the sand.
4. Two water changes after(one every other day). Thinking about 20% each change
5. Light will go on for 4 hours for the next week. 2 hour blue then 2 hour blue/white lights.

Is there anything missing?

PH was already around 8. So will does each day to maintain that level.
Skimmer turn wet to produce more bubbles and skim mate.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire