lundi 20 juin 2016

I'm proving everyone wrong clowns, chromis, tangs etc.

I haven't been real active here lately since I shut down my big tank and have moved on to other things more pressing in my life at this point, but just thought I'd share a couple of tidbits of information that everyone keeps claiming is impossible...

1) It is very possible to keep multiple tangs in a tank peacefully without a problem. The problem that most people have is that they are not willing to have a large enough tank to keep tangs in them, instead they think a 55 gallon tank is a big enough tank to put whatever they want in it. Look up the recommended tank size for the fish you want to get, then go bigger than what is recommended, if you can't then don't get the fish.

2) It is very possible to keep multiple clowns in a tank peacefully without a problem. Part of this also goes back to #1 (tank size), but even with the proper sized tank most people recommend only keeping a pair of clowns because they say that the clowns will kill each other if there is more than a pair. That might be true if you are adding clowns that are the same size, they will fight to establish dominance. If you add a clown that is significantly smaller than your existing clowns they'll be fine because the smaller clown immediately accepts that it is at the bottom of the totem pole and is not going to challenge the larger clown. I had a pair of mated clowns that I added a third much smaller clown to and they accepted it and have been together for a while now. They started out in a 40B then got moved to my 240, and are now temporarily housed in a 20H until I figure out what my long term plan is. I am thinking I am going to bring them to my work tank and add them in with a fourth clown which is larger than the smallest clown, but much smaller than the dominant pair so we'll see what happens...

3) It is very possible to keep multiple chromis together without them killing each other. Seems like everyone pretty much claims that they will slowly pick each other off until you only have one left. I started out with 3 blue/green chromis in a 40B, moved them to the 240, then when I moved the 40B to work and started it over I put in one blue/green chromis that had been in my 20H and added two more to have 3 in the 40B again... I did have one die but it wasn't killed by the other fish... now that I have shut down the 240 I brought the three blue/green from that tank and now have 5 blue/green chromis in this 40B with no problems... I also have two lemon chromis in with them too, I haven't had them together for an extremely long time yet but have not had any problems in the couple of months they have been together so far even though three of them are 2-3 years old and two of them are only a year old. Part of this might have been due to having a larger fish in the tank (one spot foxface) so they were grouping together for protection... I just sold the foxface now that I don't have the big tank to rely on to move him to as he was outgrowing my smaller tank, so we'll see if the dynamics of the tank change now that the larger fish is gone... although I do think I'm going to bring the other 3 clowns in and see what happens, the tank is a bit overstocked but I'm thinking I'll be better off cramming everything in one tank and focus on taking care of a single tank rather than multiple tanks.

I'm not by any means trying to condone overstocking tanks, refer back to #1 I think the most important thing for beginners is to get a tank bigger than the minimum recommended size for the fish you want to keep, but I see a lot of posts where people claim you can't do this or you can't do that... I've just shown I've done three of those things that can't be done, and I'm still experimenting with what else I can do... to me the most important thing is maintaining a low stress environment, part of that is having the right size tank, part of that is having the right amount of fish in that tank, and part of it is just learning what types of fish actually work with each other... some fish might just be incompatible due to their own personal attitude so won't fit in a peaceful tank no matter what you do..


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire