mercredi 20 décembre 2017

New Reefer Canopy Lighting. Please Help! Kessil AP700 vs Ecotech Radion

Hello Everyone,

I’m in the process of gathering equipment for my first build (Aqueon 90g 4ft megaflow) but after getting caught in a research deathspin with zero actual reefing experience, I’m agonizing over a lighting solution. Due to return policies and available deals, I’d need to make a decision by December 31st. If I could get some opinions it could save me a lot of anxiety.

I’m looking to go LED but the canopy I’ve spent a bit of time refurbishing is a flip-top with only 6” total clearance from the top of the tank and 8” total from the top of the overflow (water level). Using a lower profile LED option mounted at .5-1” from the canopy top, I could get 5-6” clearance from the bottom of the fixture to the top of the water. The back of the canopy is completely open so there should be decent air flow. I will also be putting a few computer fans in the sides. As it’s a flip top, there is not much I can do in terms of sawing holes to place lighting.

My goal at the moment is a mixed reef, softies, LPS, some SPS, and clams if possible with perhaps the ability to do more SPS in the future if that calls to me. I’m currently looking at the Kessil AP700 and Ecotech Radion G4 Pro (either XR30 or XR15) and I’ve done most of my research on those options, though I’m open to other solutions as well. My tank has the center brace on the top, so I’d be looking at either 2 AP700s, 2 XR30s, or 4 XR15s…
Here’s where I’m at.

Ecotech Radions

Apex compatibility is a plus. With my mounting height I have concerns that the known discoball effect and shimmer will be exaggerated as well as hotspots. The lighting pucks on the XR30 are spaced pretty close together. With 4 XR15s I could spread them out a bit. However, with the center bracket on the tank I’m not completely sure how much benefit I’d get from this.

4 XR15s would be more future-proof in a sense that I could use them if I downsize tanks, wanted to upgrade and use these for a frag tank, go larger, etc. The biggest issue for me here is my mounting height. The XR30’s have the fan on the bottom and the instructions clearly state that minimum mounting height is 9” above the water surface. I assume the XR15s are the same, though they do have the fan on the top.

Kessil AP700

From the reviews I’ve seen Kessil’s shimmer, par spread, color are arguably at or near the top in the industry. The biggest plus is that based on product images/descriptions, these are actually rated for a mounting height of 5-7” which fits my application.

I’ve gotten varying dimensions on how far the actual pucks are spread but I believe they’re 12” from center to center on each fixture. That would put the middle of the first light 6” from the side of the tank, the second and third 6” from the middle of the center bracket, and the fourth 6” from the far side of the tank with a light almost exactly every 12” across the tank. Unfortunately they are not Apex compatible and I haven’t received a clear response on what happens to the programming in a power outage.

Sorry for the novel. I'm obviously leaning toward the Kessils at the moment I'll add a few followup questions if I get any takers on this.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire