mercredi 5 juillet 2017

New here and returning to reefing after 14 years away

Hi there,

I'm Nicole and I'm very happy that I stumbled across this site as I'm returning to salt after about 14 years away. I had a 60 gal aquarium for a number of years but had kids and well.. you get it :)

I recently bought a Red Sea Max 130 liter (34 gal) secondhand and was told that all was in functioning condition. Apparently, there are many versions but mine seems to be this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJzybJY3q4g ( not sure if we're allowed to post links; I do apologize if it's forbidden or frowned up and it won't happen again ) :)



To be honest, I don't remember much about the do's and don'ts of this hobby so please forgive my many questions.. I might as well be starting from square one in knowledge.

I have live sand, live rock and the water. It's been running for about two weeks. I found a tiny tiny hitchhiker snail so he's my lone fish pet until the tank is stable and done cycling.

The tank came with a digital thermometer with the little probe dude that hangs out in the water. It's been reflecting anywhere between 85 and 86.7 degrees regularly and I know that's warm. I moved the tank away from the window to the middle of the house where it's cooler and sort of cleaned out the filter wondering if maybe the system is overworked from it being dirty?? Not sure how this was maintained by the previous owner. It's now at about 82.4 degrees; better than before but still warm. I've ensure the heater is in fact off and a new digital thermometer should arrive today from Amazon, as I'm hoping the secondhand thermometer I have is faulty.

I'm not sure what a properly running RSM 130 filtration system looks like when it's set up and running properly. I looked for help in that area on youtube but.. :( When looking at the youtube video I added here above, the filters on the right circled in red- I've cleaned those ( Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE40261 Max Filter Sponge Media and a thinner white filter of some sort that sits on top of it ) .. but.. the re filters circled on the left? What is that and am I supposed to clean it?

The fans seem to be functioning but I'm wondering if I should just change out all pumps, etc just to ensure that all is working okay?? :( I don't know why my tank is running that warm.

Also, attached are the initial reads.. I realized later that I forgot to test the Calcium and will do that soon.

Any advice from you all please? :( I don't know if the cycle is even close to being done

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (43.7 KB)
File Type: jpg tank 1.jpg (86.5 KB)
File Type: jpg Reads Initial.jpg (22.4 KB)


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire