vendredi 4 mai 2018

Calculating water volume in tank

I'm trying to calculate dosing amounts for different things based on total system water volume. I've found several different online calculators that help you estimate the total system water volume in your tank, including sand bed depth, live rock, et al. I'm using the calculator at GARF.org right now.

My question is this: how do you adjust the calculator for the level at which you keep the water in your tank?

For example, I have a standard 30 gallon AGA tank I am using as a sump. It is not baffled and has no sand or live rock in it. According to the calculator, it would contain exactly 30 gallons of water. However, how do I know how much water is actually in the tank based on the water level? Would it be 30 gallons if the tank was filled all the way up to just touching the lip on the plastic rim? Or is the 30-gallon mark actually 1/2" below the lip? Or 1" below the lip? How much water is in my tank if I keep the level 3" below the lip of the rim?

Of course, I have to figure out this same thing for my standard 55 gallon AGA display tank. I have about a 3" sand bed in it and roughly 70 lbs. of live rock. According to the GARF calculator, the net system volume is about 40 gallons. However, the water level is kept about 1" below the lip of the plastic rim. So, what is my net volume with that taken into account?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire