lundi 7 mai 2018

36 Gallon Bowfront, ECustom Drill and Sumpsuu

Hello all, I’m still in the research phase for the tank but wanted to share my “rough draft” plans. I am new to reefing, but not to intricate fish keeping. I kept a pair of figure 8 puffers in brackish water for almost two years before I had to move across the country. While I know they are not as complicated as a reef, I think they were probably a good warm up. I’m keeping the bowfront (yes, I know that the aquarium is the cheapest part of any setup) because the size and I do like the look. It’s stereotypical, but I want a pair of clowns and a BTA. I know the tank must be stable for 6 months before adding the anemone. I also am not planning on adding coral or other livestock besides the clowns, for fear of losing it to the anemone (unless anyone knows corals or fish or inverts that would do well? But most of what I’ve read is that things that live long in such a tank are on a case by case basis until the anemone moves or gets hungry). I’m planning to drill for an overflow and return, use my old 13 gallon as a DIY sump with an in sump skimmer. I keep getting mixed reviews about a sock on the overflow, so I’m not sure about that yet. I think I may go with a block of marine pure in the sump, but I don’t think I have room for much more than the skimmer and the return pump chamber, which needs to be adequate in volume for a power outage. In the tank itself I plan on starting with 20-30 pounds of live rock that my LFS has for comparatively cheap per pound. My plan is to transport it in buckets with water, and with a short drive I don’t anticipate die off. I then plan on getting a damsel to keep in there for what hopefully will not be a cycle, considering the wet to wet transport of mature live rock (thoughts?). Once the parameters are completely stabilized I plan to stick with my end objective of the anemone and clownfish, returning or passing along the damsel who may or may not be aggressive, but certainly not friendly with a BTA. I plan on having a pair of 500-800 gph powerheads (unless that is too much flow?). Finally, lighting, I know lighting is critical for BTAs. I was planning on getting one of those 180w LED sets available on Amazon. The reviews seem to be positive (thoughts? And if so, looking for thoughts from people that have these lights and a reef). Is there anything I’m missing? To be concise:

36 gallon bowfront
13 gallon 2 chamber sump
20-30lb of love rock
Protein skimmer
2 x 500-800gph power-heads
1 x 180watt LED “Coral Light” from Amazon
Wait for 6 months of stable parameters:
Pair of clowns
BTA that will hopefully grow/split

Thanks for any thoughts or corrections, I don’t want to endanger animals, or waste time/money.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire