mardi 27 octobre 2015

Need Clownfish Advice

Hello!

So when I started my nano 29 gallon aquarium, my naive self bought 3 clownfish and a damsel from petco out of the same tank.

Months later, someone told me it could be trouble if one of them turns female. For the last several months the 3 of them have been getting on just fine and nothing in regards to bullying or aggression seemed to happen. Except for when they'd mess with the emerald crab but that was just good fun.

Two weeks ago I was talking to a local salt water store about my set up because I was having algae trouble and she made a huge deal about me having 3 clownfish. She said if one of her clownfish turned female in their sales aquarium that contained about 10-15 clownfish, they would all be dead in a week.

I believe one of my clownfish has turned female. Whenever the largest one is near by to another make, the male spasms to submit and just follows here where she goes. The third clownfish is now also being chased away from a her certain spot.

The tank seems large enough for the 4 of them and I have plenty of live rock for them all to share. I have read up a lot on this all and it seems from person to person the situation changes where sometimes the female is super aggressive and kills other fish but other times the female chooses one mate, and when she has her mate everything else typically lives in peace.

With that said, I don't want my fish to die. So here are a few questions:

1. Is the clownfish who is submitting safe from being killed by the female?

2. If the third wheel clownfish has plenty of room and is rarely chased off, is he fine? Or is he a threat to any eggs and will the female and other male now just treat him terribly for the rest of his life?

3. How big does an aquarium have to be for one clown fish to live alone in and be okay?

I guess I really don't want to move him because I have the power head and filter in the 29 gallon tank. I could go buy a smaller tank but I can't afford all the extra equipment for a second aquarium.

Thank you ahead for your responses. Unfortunately, this is my first saltwater aquarium and as I read and research I realize this is one of the stupidest situations I could have got myself into.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire