mercredi 28 octobre 2015

280 Gallon Brewery Build!

Its time for my own 'rebuild' thread so I stop asking all my questions on others build thread :)

First some background, brewery mentioned in the title is the bar in my man cave. With that being said, I designed my bar around the fish tank. I have 12 beers on tap (all of which I made) underneath the tank. The tank is a 72x36x25 tank purposely because that allows my large fridge to slide under neath of it for the 12 kegs.

Originally, my brewery was named 'Shark Tank Brewery'. I had marble cat sharks as a FOWLR tank. And my slogan was 'Brewed in Captivity, Drink to get Wild', as a play on Zoos saying bred in captivity, released to the wild.

Couple issues, I love sharks, im an avid shark diver and have been around the world seeking out sharks to scuba with, but in captivity...well...they suck. I had an awesome shark and eel that were awesome for exactly 30 seconds a day. The rest of the time they were hidden under a rock. I grew to be infinitely more fond of the cleaner shrimp cleaning station and my fox face rabbit fish that was always scared and changing colors. Sharks presented other challenges, like they eat clean up crews. And as a newcomer to the hobby I needed clean up crews to deal with all the issues I had.

Lets just generically say that I ran into every issue that you might come across as a hobbyist. Ich, velvet, cyano, hair algae... Long story short after accidentally bleaching the tank and killing the remaining inhabitants I wanted to start over.

Starting over wasnt an over night thing. Ive read Geoffs 'Reef keeping made easy' thread at least three times. Along with a million other threads, sites, etc. I only had my tank up for a few months, and at this point I've waiting almost six months to start again while researching for hours every day.

At this point things are in motion again and most decisions have been made. Im finalizing a few things that I wanted to get input on first, so I started this thread. I originally had 150 pounds of dry rock. To ensure nothing was left from my previous failures I bleached the rocks, and did an acid bath. I bought 50 pounds of shelf rock, and 50 pounds of cut shelf rock from macro rocks and 50 pounds of branch rock from brs. I dont know that Ill need or will use all 300 pounds but when you order online you never know what you are going to get. I have all of the rock currently in a 100 gallon tub covered, with tons of flow and I hooked my skimmer up to it. Its been running for about a month and the skimmer at first took a ton out. When I remember I 'feed' it just to get some bacteria growing but mainly I just figured while Im researching I wanted to get any phosphates off the rock and get it going.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire