dimanche 22 octobre 2017

Correcting low Ca, high alkalinity, low Mg

Tank parameters
Gallons: ~80 gal, 60(less live rock and sand bed)
calcium: 360ppm,
magnesium: 960ppm,
KH/Alk: 12.5/4.45,
pH: 8.4

I had originally set my tank up with regular Instant Ocean brand salt and had dosed with baking soda to bring the pH up. I added Instant Ocean Reef Accelerator to get the calcium and Magnesium numbers where they are. I've got the reef variety of Instant Ocean now for water changes.

I think my situation falls under recipe #2 of Randy's article on An Improved Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System (http://ift.tt/QE8sF9). I know with my magnesium being as low as it is I should probably raise it slowly (100ppm a day). And have read that magnesium levels can effect the water's ability to not precipitate calcium. But is it better to raise magnesium via Randy's magnesium chloride - magnesium sulfate mix first? Or should I start with calcium chloride to correct the calcium level?

Also for magnesium chloride I found Vaporizer brand deicer at Kmart. It lists magnesium chloride as the sole ingredient as opposed to a magnesium chloride hexahydrate. Has anyone used this in place of MagFlake by Dead Sea Works? And for calcium chloride I found a Pickle Crisp Granule by Ball company that I was uncertain how it would substitute.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire