lundi 19 juin 2017

Hermit Crab in Sump

Hoping for some advice. For a year or so now I have been experiencing a loss of various inverts from corals, star fish, snails and sea hares. This confused me as my parameters have always seemed perfectly in check. Recently some of my fish have been disappearing also.

In parallel with the above, a small red haired hermit crab who I had since the start has been growing and growing far faster than any of other crabs in the tank at first. So much so he is now almost 5 inches and unsurprisingly the other hermit crabs are no-where to be seen! Reading up it appears this may have been the ugly duckling, and I am now certain he is a Dardanus Megistos.

So my two questions are, is it likely he would be the cause of so many disappearances and deaths, or would he likely only go after the other inverts with shells? Secondly, can I keep him in my sump? I do really like him, and don't want to have to give him away when I've had him for years and he's such a character, but likewise I would not want to harm him if the sump was a bad idea.

In the tank I also have 3 cleaner shrimp, a few corals (although he's been picking at them a bit recently), 2 clown fish, a mandarin, a scooter, an orchid blenny and a blue cheek. Are they at threat?

Many thanks in advance


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire