mercredi 2 mai 2018

Sufficient light for growing chaeto in sump?

For my 55g mixed-reef tank, I have a 30g sump underneath. This is an open sump (i.e. not baffled) that simply houses my water heater and provides an easy place to perform water changes. I am *not* running a protein skimmer in the sump. Water enters the sump on the right end from a HOB overflow on my DT. The return pump is on the left side of the sump. Everything is wide open in between.

To reduce excess nutrients and battle a hair algae outbreak in my DT, I have added a large ball of chaeto to the sump and am currently lighting it with a 30" Aqueon modular LED fixture. The Aqueon fixture is not all that bright and is meant to light a fish only tank.

My question is if this Aqueon LED fixture will be sufficient to support the growth of the chaeto in my sump and the reduction of nutrients and GHA in my DT? Or should I look into getting a plant grow specific light fixture such as a PAR38 LED grow bulb?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire