dimanche 18 décembre 2016

Help! I can't keep any fish from my lfs alive :-(

I have a tank that has been set up for over 10 years. It has been through a lot over the years. It went through a move which resulted in a few losses. It went through hurricane sandy which resulted in a total loss. The power was out for a few weeks and there was nothing to keep the tank warm. Prior to that it was a thriving tank.

After that I just left the tank empty of occupants but running for about a year. Finally I started adding inhabitants slowly. Currently I have a clown fish and a 6 line wrasse. Both of those I purchased online from Live Aquaria. Over the lifetime of the tank I've attempted other fish.....all purchased from the local fish store.

They all follow the exact same m.o. They start out happy and healthy after a long and slow drip acclimation. For about two weeks they are lively and voracious eaters. Suddenly they will lose their spark and stop eating. Within 4 - 5 days of the onset they are dead. All of the other inhabitants (snails, sally light foot crab, banded coral shrimp, derasa clam, random assortment of corals and a few hermit crabs) are all fine, still happy and healthy. This fish store is well respected in our state so it seems as though they shouldn't be the problem.

I don't know where to look for clues on what is killing these fish.

Tank parameters:

50 Gallon tank
100 Gallon sump filled about half way (so roughly 100 gallons total water volume)
PH: 8.2
Ammonia and Nitrite: 0
Calcium roughly: 320 (working on getting that up)
Alk roughly: 7 dKH (working on getting that up)
Temp: about 78 - 80 degrees

I do pretty aggressive water changes, usually changing out about 1/3 of the water every two weeks or so. Recently I had a little diatom bloom but I attribute that to trying out Fuel coral food. I stopped using it almost immediately when the bloom occurred. Let me know if there is any other information that you would like. The fish that I have tried from the local fish store have been a small foxface rabbit fish, a small yellow tang, and a clown fish. Like I said earlier, their initial health and subsequent decline all follow the exact same pattern.


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire