jeudi 15 décembre 2016

I think Corals Sleep

Here is probably one for Paul B to answer :) But don't let that cause you not to chime in.

Do corals sleep? I think so simply from observation of the dramatic changes in the look of a coral from daylight to night time.

Every night, my Toadstool, mushrooms, Zoas and Gorgonians all seem to "close up shop" each evening. Even when I had LPS they too seemed to close up at night.

My thoughts are that they are a type of animal, many photosynthetic, and operate under a similar wake and sleep period as other animals and humans. However, there are plenty of examples of "night owls" as seen when some corals send out feelers at night. But, do they do that all night or just for a while and sleep in a tad in the morning ;)

Note: I did not perform any Internet searches to back my claim.

What say you? Just another "food for thought" thread...

Below is one example of what I am talking about...day time and night time Gorgonians -

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: gorgonian-day.jpg Views: N/A Size: 126.3 KB ID: 142450   Click image for larger version Name: gorgonian-night.jpg Views: N/A Size: 80.9 KB ID: 142458  


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire