samedi 24 février 2018

Reef-n-a-Jug

Yep, as the name says, a reef in a jug. With the recent activity with a 'pico' thread, and the mention of the way cool 'Nano Jam' thread popping up, I decided to do something I've been wanting too....start my own pico system. This is coinciding with me teaching my son biology at the moment and we spend a lot of time on Hack's-Reef doing research. So figured this would be as good as it gets for an opportunity to start one. I'm going to take this project to the um'th degree in simplicity.....As 'self sustaining as I can figure out. I've seen pictures of 'reefs in jars' before, but have difficulty in digging up the threads...so hoping this will drag the folks out in the open that still have some on going, and will join in here. All are welcome to jump in and follow along, or even, preferably even give one a try so notes can be compared. I'm starting at 'simple' and adjusting my thinking a smidge either direction as the need arises.
In the abstract I'm looking to keep.....(" a 1-gallon'ish size container, yet to be narrowed down, with softies I've come to be familiar with from our existing 210 gallon 'softies' reef. Planning on using ambient sun light from our fish room only. Room heating. Aeration/circulation yet to be decided upon, as well as an open or sealed top. There will be no fish, as to make this as easy as possible, but haven't ruled out snails, or crabs/shrimp yet to introduce a nutrient source. Which I may do simply by the addition of 'dirty water' from our main tank.")
I'll add more shortly as I begin gathering 'stuff', and just wanted to let folks know about a new boat at the dock if'n any one was interested. This could be fun to be had here, so feel free to join in. All the best,
Hack


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire