vendredi 16 février 2018

DIY Refugium for 10gal Nano

So I’m currently cycling my first 10 gal nano reef tank and have been doing research on a bunch of things and ran across refugiums. I decided to give it a shot and make my own refugium and wanted to know what you all think, if there is anything I am missing/if it will even work, and maybe help out anyone in a similar boat that wants to save money and make one themselves.

Here is my materials list:
1 utopia 92gph hob filter
1 slimline 1.25 gallon water container
Some vinyl air hose (5/16” and 1/2”)
1” caribsea hawaiian black sand (I would have added a little more if I had any left)
1-2 lbs of dry rock rubble (bulk reef supply)
1 8” submersible led light (on order)
Some chaeto (getting after cycle completes)
Stiff plastic mesh to hold the chaeto (michaels)
GE silicone 1

I originally bought the utopia filter before I knew it was unnecessary (bc of live rock, sand, etc), however, the way the filter is made makes it very useful as a pump bc the motor is actually at the mouth of the intake pipe and not in the middle of the container like most hob filters. So I essentially made a larger hob filter using this hob motor and housing. I drilled a couple holes into the hob container and cut a slit out of the top of the slimline container to fit the hob container. I placed the hob container inside the slimline and caulked the seams. Then I caulked the 5/16” hose into the mouth of the water spout and on the other end I caulked the 5/16” hose into a piece of the 1/2” vinyl hose. Once it dried I then caulked the 1/2” hose into the original intake pipe from the hob. Once everything cured, I added the 1” layer of sand and the 1-2lbs of rubble on top of that. I made sure to add rubble in front of the water spout intake so the sand didn’t disrupt the flow. So basically the refugium draws the water in thru the slimline water spout at the bottom and overflows back out into the tank on the other end where the hob container sits.

My questions are:

-Is a 1.25 gallon refugium big enough for a 10 gal tank to even work?
-Will copapods be able to live in this setup if I decide to get hem later on?
-Should I add snails or other inverts to the refugium?
-Am I missing anything else?

I’ll post a couple picture of my diy rig too!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: 943FE068-8C95-41C9-B1C9-D759155E344B_1518829281787.jpeg Views: N/A Size: 1.31 MB ID: 170881   Click image for larger version Name: 387667A0-7C17-4FEA-9BA5-D24946E8EF66_1518829302672.jpeg Views: N/A Size: 646.3 KB ID: 170889  


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire